Sunday, March 1, 2009

Garden Stimulous

Opinion

I went to the Mid-Atlantic Garden Show in York in search of inspiration. I found some. It was different than I expected.

I found inspiration in charming hand-made objects and pottery. I pined for very old garden tools. I was inspired by the passion for gardening I saw in people I met at the show.

When I first arrived, I quickly walked by displays of daffodils and azaleas, and found myself sitting in on a talk by George Weigel, garden writer and and columnist. Weigel is a central PA gift of garden knowledge and good humor. While giving great garden tips, he told engaging tales of his real world struggles with pest in his backyard vegetable garden. Chief among them is the ground hog. His amusing photographs and stories kept the audience both entertained and learning. You can see George at the Pennsylvania Home Show at the Farm Show arena next week.
Visit: http://www.pahomeshow.com/Seminars.asp#Mar1.

I may well attend George's seminar on," Cutting Edge Plants to Try in your Garden in 2009" on Saturday March 7th at 2:30pm.

I ducked out of George's talk to find friends David and David from Circa Antiques before their lunch break. This was a silly concern of mine since it appeared that neither David took a lunch break. Instead, existing on chocolate alone it seemed.

Their display included English Victorian era twig-like planters filled with moss, ferns and green hellebores. Worn 18th century stone troughs from England, old garden tools, and pottery filled their clean designed booth.

No comments:

Post a Comment